Okay, so last night I wrote a blog post about my day yesterday. I woke up at 5 am this morning with anxious and suspicious thoughts. "How dare I show my weakness?" is what came to mind. "Everyone is going to judge you for writing that. You failed in your first day on your fast from gaming. How dare you complain?" So I erased my blog post this morning.
How that stung and stung hard, and since it stung so hard, you know what I did? I prayed. I read. I took action. I fought off that nastiness with my friend, my savior, my Lord.
And you know what? I'm going to post last nights blog post for all of you to judge me anyway. You know why? Because God knows my heart. He knows I'm making an effort. He knows and loves me for taking this step of faith and obedience. He's blessing me. I love you, God! You are truly out for my best.
And you know what? I'm going to post last nights blog post for all of you to judge me anyway. You know why? Because God knows my heart. He knows I'm making an effort. He knows and loves me for taking this step of faith and obedience. He's blessing me. I love you, God! You are truly out for my best.
Here's my blog post from the first day of my fast: I plan on keeping track of my growth everyday through this fast. This is my journal. Please be kind to me and let me grow. I have much growth to do and I'm allowing you to witness that growth in hopes of God using it for His glory. I'm rather open with my thoughts and struggles. Sometimes it serves me and sometimes it causes me grief. Either way, it's who I am. I want to claim the victory and freedom to be who God created me to be. I want to please God. I want Him to smile down on me. After all, it's what we were created for.
Day 1 of 40 Day Gaming Fast
Well, it's actually been a few days since I've played a game. I quit some games on Friday and all other games yesterday. So today, I think I'm on withdrawal. At least for today I babysat and it distracted me for the day. After the boys left me, I felt bored, and lost. Shoot! I can't even make it a day without feeling the loss. I was cranky at dinner. All I can say is, I feel like a jerk.I'm going to have to find something to fill my time. I can't read the bible all day. Well, I guess I could... but really, I get too distracted for that kind of focus.
Another thing that made me cranky was the fact that I read my Myers Briggs personality profile. It seems to have me down to a "T", but I feel like it just cheapened who I am as a person. It's like putting me in a neat little box for all to have wrapped up and understood. I feel people are way more complicated than that and shouldn't be cheapened by the categorization. What's funny is that I used to *love* reading those profiles. Well, not anymore.
We read to the kids before putting the them down for the night. My two favorite times in our household are dinner-time and bed-time. Those are times when we are all together and together intentionally. Intentionally interacting in each others lives. I desire more moments like those in our day to day lives.
On another note: I asked Bogie if he married me because I would be a great ministry project. He looked at me with a puzzled/funny/sarcastic look and said, "No, I married you because I loved you and you loved me." *big smile on his face*
I told him, "Well, I feel like God has given me such a great gift in you. I've learned so much about walking with Christ from our relationship and I feel like I've shown you nothing beneficial, just how to be more selfish."
You know what he said? He said, "You've taught me how to be more open and to share feelings. I used to be extremely private."
Thanks babe, that was edifying. Praise God for the blessing today. I needed it.
Um, hello? You did not fail! What kind of a sacrifice would this be if it didn't bother you a little? I think you're doing just fine.
ReplyDeleteI mean, I could give up exercise and eggplant and probably have a really cheerful Lent. But is that kind of a sacrifice what is called for?
How about replacing your gaming time with, OK, some Bible reading and prayer, but also some family board-gaming, and maybe some great book-reading (fiction and non)? Or if you're desperately bored, you're welcome to come over and help me fold laundry!
Anyway, thanks for your openness. And I ditto the Meyers-Briggs profiles; they annoy me.
Emily, you brought a smile to my face. Your words are appreciated by me! I'll think about the laundry... ;)
DeleteI have picked up a few books and I've been keeping myself busy with various other things today. Laundry being one of them...
I agree- good for you for posting. Satan is whispering lies that you failed- you didn't fail, you are learning how deep the addiction was. I feel like an idiot because I am the worlds biggest jerk when I go off coke or not diet coke. You'd think someone could just stop drinking a beverage, but I use it as a reward more than a drink and it's not healthy. I get those feelings, they are real and so are you.
ReplyDeleteThe danger of blogging is being judged...and if you've seen by blog, there have been times people have said NASTY things when I was most vulnerable, but those few nasty comments are DROWNED OUT beyond description by the positives people say. God uses our weaknesses for his glory. GOOD FOR YOU! I just know he is going to reward your obedience and transparency! I hope day two was better...xoxoxo
Hey Aunt Beth just wanted to say that I'm so blessed to have you and Uncle Bogie in my life. The way that God uses both of you to bring out the best in one another, and also to encourage, love, and speak His truths to one another daily is something so beautiful. I haven't seen any marriages like the one that you have with him. And I know it's not perfect, and it has its times that is hard and grimy, but through that God brings anew something so beautiful and wonderful. Its moments like those that you definitely know that God is on your side and rooting for you. Know that God is always using you in ways you don't know to bless others :) Hope you are able to see His goodness every day!
ReplyDeleteOh Esther, you blessed me tremendously today. You don't know how much I am proud of you and how I've seen God grow you to be used with purpose. I am the most blessed woman to have been a part of your family. I love you, Esther. You are beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with me. My heart is encouraged.
Delete